August 3, 2009

What's that I'm allergic to???

Gluten.
I've never had any major health issues before. Until recently.
I've been having shortness of breath, severe heart palpitations, fatigue, weight loss, anemia, and the list goes on. With a trip to the E.R., vital signs monitored, EKG completed, and a chest x-ray, I was left with no answers. So, I was put on some medication that really was not working. I began really paying attention to what I was eating. The two nights I had the worst "attacks", I ate a large amount of pasta. So I began putting the pieces together. Tommy's dad suggested to me that I may be allergic to gluten.
Ever since I've cut gluten out of my diet, I have felt better than normal. I have way more energy and no weird heart issues or shortness of breath.
I actually forgot (it hasn't become completely normal to me yet) one night and ate a ton of wheat crackers, and woke up at 3 in the morning with severe abdominal pain. So weird. But I am glad I "forgot" and challenged the wheat.
Then I was good for a few days, and forgot again. I ate a brownie for dessert and a few hours later, same abdominal pain.
However, I have had a couple of Brady's whole grain goldfish snacks and have felt fine. So, I've concluded that large amounts are what affect me.
I'm a little bummed because I am pretty sure I love everything that has gluten in it. But, now, not enough to keep feeling the way I have been.


My new best friend

2 comments:

  1. How interesting Janay! To have gone this long and just now figure this crazy allergy?! That is crazy. And of course it has to be something that is so common in so many foods. I am glad you were able to figure it out though. Side note...I noticed Brady is getting more hair! Yeah! So is Aubrey Rose! It is about time. :) Love you guys! And happy birthday Tommy!
    ~Cherie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Like the blog! Big bummer about the allergy! Hope to see you guys soon. I think we're coming up just for 24 hours Aug 21-22 to pick blackberries! :)

    ReplyDelete